- Bergtheil Museum
- Firkin Hophouse Micro Brewery & Pub
- Make a Teddy Bear
- The Pavilion Shopping Centre
The town was laid out on the farm Westville (named in honour of Martin West, the first British lieutenant-governor of Natal) and formed in 1847. It developed from a settlement of German immigrants who arrived in 1848, and was proclaimed a borough in 1956.