Crocodile Bridge Rest Camp is just a stone's throw from the Mozambican border and Maputo. It is an ideal camp from which to pursue the Big Five.
Accommodation and lodging comprises of bungalows, safari tents and caravan/tent camping sites as well as disabled-friendly accommodation.
The area around Crocodile Bridge Rest Camp is flat and scattered with Marula trees alongside the Crocodile River. Amenities include a laundromat, grocery shop and liquor store.
The game viewing area is known as the 'Southern Circle' and is renowned for its concentration of different prides of Lion with different hunting techniques and behaviour. It is home to a larger percentage of the Kruger National Park's total Rhino population.
The Crocodile Bridge Gate on the north bank of the river is only 13km (8 miles) from the town of Komatipoort, 12km (7.5 miles) from the Mozambican Border, and 77km (48 miles) from Skukuza Rest Camp.
The southern part of the Kruger National Park has a history that can be traced back centuries. Attractions and sightseeing activities include the San (Bushmen) paintings which adorn overhanging sandstone rock near the Hippo pool, the only remnants of the San People who once lived and hunted in this area.
- San (Bushmen) paintings which adorn overhanging sandstone rock near the Hippo pool, these are the only remnants of the San People who once lived and hunted in this area.
- You are most likely to find Lion, Giraffe, Spotted Hyena, Kudu, Cheetah and Rhino near the camp.
During the 18th century, European explorers were lured inland by legends of the fabulous gold riches of Monomotapa. They came into conflict with the local inhabitants, whose traditional way of life was threatened by these unknown visitors from across the sea.
Francois de Cuiper of the Dutch East India Company led the first expedition to the area from the Cape in 1725. His party was attacked by local inhabitants in the Gomondwane bush (just north of Crocodile Bridge), and forced to retreat to Delagoa Bay.
When the Sabie Reserve (a forerunner of the Kruger National Park) was proclaimed in the late 19th century, Crocodile Bridge was one of the first 4 ranger posts. The bridge across the Crocodile River, visible from the rest camp, once formed part of the Selati railway line that wound its way through the Park to Skukuza.
Construction of the bridge started in 1894 and was completed just before the end of the 19th century.